Myrto

Myrto

Cheaper by the Dozen
Frank B. Gilbreth Jr., Ernestine Gilbreth Carey

John Le Carré : Three Complete Novels -- Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy / The Honourable Schoolboy / Smiley's People - John le Carré It took me way longer than I expected to read all three of these classic spy novels by Le Carré. I read T,T,S,S last year, but ended up reading it again, just so I remembered the back story for the second and third novels.

The good news is that these are great books, full of fascinating detail about the Cold War spy world. The characters, especially the secondary characters, are subtly drawn, but they're memorable for sure. Le Carré doesn't spend a lot of time on straight-up description, but each character grows more into herself/himself throughout the stories.

The stories are great, but are pretty slow moving. If you're not prepared for the cerebral nature of these novels, you might be unpleasantly surprised. I think that their slow quality is reflective of what most Cold War spy work was: brain work and research. I hadn't expected it, and it took me several chapters to settle into the slow pacing of the stories.

The first novel, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, tells the story of George Smiley, a retired member of the British MI-6 who is called back to investigate the possibility of a mole in the service. The second and third novels continue the story, as the uncovering of the mole only turned up more questions.

I enjoyed these novels very much. Recommended if you like mysteries, British novels, cerebral novels, and spy stories.