Myrto

Myrto

Cheaper by the Dozen
Frank B. Gilbreth Jr., Ernestine Gilbreth Carey

The Berlin Wall: A World Divided, 1961-1989

The Berlin Wall: A World Divided, 1961-1989 - Frederick Taylor I really enjoyed this. I've read some reviews that suggested that the Berlin wall itself wasn't enough to merit a whole book. Having read the book, though, I disagree. This was a really engaging discussion of the events before, during, and after the Berlin wall's presence in the center of Berlin.

The book starts with a long discussion of the history of Germany, which gets a little dry, but it's all very interesting. The book is full of stories about the people who ordered the wall built (party officials), people who actually built the wall, and the people whose lives were affected by the wall's construction. I also appreciated the perspective of officials in Western Europe and the US, who at least initially, were not opposed to the division of Germany (and by extension, Berlin) into two parts.

There are some disturbing stories and photographs in the book; stories of people who were willing to risk their lives to escape East Berlin didn't always have a happy ending.

I finished this book several weeks ago, so I can't go into more detail (had to return it to the library), but I thought this was definitely worth reading, and maybe worth reading again.