Myrto

Myrto

Cheaper by the Dozen
Frank B. Gilbreth Jr., Ernestine Gilbreth Carey

The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games - Suzanne  Collins I enjoyed this a lot more than I expected, though I don't know why I didn't expect to like it. I mean, I do love dystopian novels set in the future, and some of the most interesting of this genre are aimed at the "young adult" audience. (One of my favorites is The Dying Sun, btw.) So, this story was right up my alley.

The main character, Catniss, is everything that a good leading lady should be: strong, funny, capable, smart, and just awkward enough to keep her from being too perfect.

The premise is also interesting: the United States, in the future, is divided into districts instead of states, after a war of rebellion. As a penance for the rebellion, each year the districts have to send children to the Hunger Games, a sort of reality TV show in which the "survivor" is actually the only survivor, having killed off all of other opponents. (This makes the actual TV show "Survivor" even more hilariously silly than it already is.)

The action is believable, the characters are flawed and interesting, the scenario is nail-biting, even though you pretty much know how it will end.

I really liked this book, and though I haven't read the rest of the trilogy, I plan to eventually, though I'm not sure where the story can go from here. It's a brilliant addition to the Young Adult Dystopian Future genre.